Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:04 am 
Newcomer

PS: Mediafire is pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

I forgot about dropbox, I set one up ages ago but haven't used it, will investigate further.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:29 pm 
Regular

Just found this post on another forum.....

The current state of play...
This has been copied/pasted from 'Exile on Moan Street', which you all should visit...& whilst it's not dark yet, it's getting there...

The current state of play:
- MegaUpload - Closed.
- FileServe - Closing does not sell premium.
- FileJungle - Deleting files. Locked in the U.S..
- UploadStation - Locked in the U.S..
- FileSonic - the news is arbitrary (under FBI investigation).
- VideoBB - Closed! would disappear soon.
- Uploaded - Banned U.S. and the FBI went after the owners who are gone.
- FilePost - Deleting all material (so will leave executables, pdfs, txts)
- Videoz - closed and locked in the countries affiliated with the USA.
- 4shared - Deleting files with copyright and waits in line at the FBI.
- MediaFire - Called to testify in the next 90 days and it will open doors pro FBI
-Org torrent - could vanish with everything within 30 days "he is under criminal investigation"
- Network Share mIRC - awaiting the decision of the case to continue or terminate Torrente everything.
- Koshiki - operating 100% Japan will not join the SOUP / PIPA
- Shienko Box - 100% working china / korea will not join the SOUP / PIPA
- ShareX BR - group UOL / BOL / iG say they will join the SOUP / PIPA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:05 am 
Hawley Groupie

Bloody Megaupload...

The seven or eight recordings that I did will be going up at www.manchestertaper.co.uk over the next few weeks.

Just the bare bones of the website as yet but there is much goodness to come...

Nice covers btw.

Bloody Megaupload.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:58 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I've been trying to download the Benicàssim '08 show from the link in page 8 of this thread, but purelivgigs.com has been down for the last few days. Prior to that, I attempted to register twice, with different e-mail addresses, but I never got the e-mail they send to activate new accounts. While that web site still worked, I saw an incomprehensible list of names with percentages and file sizes listed. I couldn't see any sense to it, but a friend of mine told me it was very easy (?). All I had to do is download a .torrent file, and use it to download the video files with a program. And the speed will depend on how many people are 'seeding' (whatever that means). Clear as mud to me. My computer at home is like the Flintstones', quite a slowcoach, and apparently I cannot install the program at work, so he offered to download the video for me if I gave him the .torrent file. My question is, where can I find that file?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:09 am 
Hawley Groupie

If Purelivegigs is down, you won't be able to get the torrent file...

I'm sure that I was sent this recording by a very kind person a while ago - if I can dig it out (and the file size allows) I'll upload it somewhere where you can download if from directly without having to go down the torrent route.

And I'll take this opportunity to plug our website again: www.manchestertaper.co.uk - the recently added Simone Felice recording is just lovely. When RH starts touring again, we'd dearly love to make a similar recording of him - might bug him on the Ask Hawley page nearer the time...

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:39 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

john_quays wrote:
I'm sure that I was sent this recording by a very kind person a while ago - if I can dig it out (and the file size allows) I'll upload it somewhere where you can download if from directly without having to go down the torrent route.

Hi John, it would be great if there's any way you can do that. If the file's too big, perhaps someone who uses torrent can make a new torrent file and leave their computer on so I can get it from there (I've gathered that's how it works, doesn't it?)

(purelivgigs.com is still down :cry:)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:53 pm 
Hawley Groupie

I can't seem to find the file at the moment - but there's still another two or three drives to look on - really need to get a handle on my haphazard backup strategies...

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:59 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Don't worry! I'll be happy if the file ever turns up in any of your drives, so take your time. And thanks a lot for your help.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:36 am 
Hawley Groupie

Just noticed that the show is still live and seeded at Dimeadozen.

You need sign up to use the tracker and there is a limited membership but if you keep refreshing the sign-up page for 10 or 15 minutes you should be good to go...

Still not found my copy and I *know* I had a quick look at it just a few weeks ago :|

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:21 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Thanks a lot for your help! I've already signed up and downloaded a .torrent file. But what do you mean by the limited membership? If I send this .torrent file to the friend who's going yo download the video for me, will that be enough, if he's got this torrent program? Or should he also be registered in this web site? Maybe these are silly questions, but I've never downloaded anything this way before.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:38 am 
Site Admin

You have to be a member and membership tends to be full. But keep trying as they drop inactive members so there are small windows of opportunity to register and persistence is the only way to get on board.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:35 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Colombo wrote:
f I send this .torrent file to the friend who's going yo download the video for me, will that be enough, if he's got this torrent program? Or should he also be registered in this web site? Maybe these are silly questions, but I've never downloaded anything this way before.

You know, I'm not sure. There's only one way to find out...

I wonder if you might run into problems though; the torrent file, as I understand it, is unique to each downloader and (especially) if your friend isn't registered with Dime I'm guessing some sort of hitch will occur. You could always get him to log-in under your name and download the torrent file and torrent - that way you're doing everything by the book and there's no risk of it looking like you're trying to fudge your download stats...

The easiest thing to do would be to download one of the free torrent clients, open the torrent file and leave your PC running overnight (or for a day or two). I use Azureus Vuze (http://http://azureus.sourceforge.net/) which I find very straightforward.

Be warned though - once you get the bug, you'll be downloading more stuff than you'll ever have time to listen to...

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:35 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Dawoodcock wrote:
You have to be a member and membership tends to be full. But keep trying as they drop inactive members so there are small windows of opportunity to register and persistence is the only way to get on board.

I think I was lucky there. I managed to register in my first attempt.

john_quays wrote:
I wonder if you might run into problems though; the torrent file, as I understand it, is unique to each downloader and (especially) if your friend isn't registered with Dime I'm guessing some sort of hitch will occur. You could always get him to log-in under your name and download the torrent file and torrent - that way you're doing everything by the book and there's no risk of it looking like you're trying to fudge your download stats...

That's precisely what I did. I read all those guidelines for the new, and understood only half of them. I couldn't gather whether the problem with giving the torrent file to other person was a matter of 'legality', or of running the risk of his ruining my quota in case he starts downloading things without uploading anything (I understood the quota was something related to that). He hasn't arrived to work today, so I still don't know whether he had any problem last night (he said he'd start dowloading it as soon as he arrived home).

john_quays wrote:
The easiest thing to do would be to download one of the free torrent clients, open the torrent file and leave your PC running overnight (or for a day or two). I use Azureus Vuze (http://http://azureus.sourceforge.net/) which I find very straightforward.

Be warned though - once you get the bug, you'll be downloading more stuff than you'll ever have time to listen to...[/quote]

Thanks for the info. As I said, I had no intention to install any of these programs, because my computer at home is so slow that I'm not sure it can dowload a one-page pdf file in a reasonable time, let alone one of these big files. However, my hard drive just died last weekend, so if I cannot fix it and must buy a new one, I might be updating the computer a bit while I'm at the shop.

john_quays wrote:
Be warned though - once you get the bug, you'll be downloading more stuff than you'll ever have time to listen to...

I know. When I first bought a couple of books at Amazon I said 'Well, it's just once'. It wasn't just once. And I've seen they'got a few other Hawleythings.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:02 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Finally found my copy but at over 2GB I think its too big to be posted using any of the remaining free services.

Happy to burn it to a disc and send a physical copy though - let me know.

When I've got it copied my other PC I'll also see if it is the same version that is on Dime at present and will try seeding it there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next