Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:16 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Hi John, thanks for your offer of burning it to a disc. My friend who's downloading it for me says it's going really slow and, besides, it seems he cannot leave his computer on overnight every day, but so far it seems it's progressing at a snail's pace (yesterday, it was 40 KB of the +2 GB). If it ever gets completely stuck, I'd let you know so as to start considering the disc idea. So make sure you don't misplace the file! :wink: And thanks a lot once again!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:12 am 
Hawley Groupie

I'll try to join the torrent over the weekend and see if it speeds things up a bit.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:07 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I've just checked it and it says I've already got 36 MB. Not fast as lightning, certainly, but improving.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:10 am 
Newcomer

Is there any chance the Bridgewater Hall show could be re-uploaded please? Want to experience this night for myself? Cheers guys.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:48 am 
Hawley Groupie

Jsweeting wrote:
Is there any chance the Bridgewater Hall show could be re-uploaded please? Want to experience this night for myself? Cheers guys.

Leave it with me - hopefully have it up somewhere by tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:44 pm 
Newcomer

john_quays wrote:
Jsweeting wrote:

Leave it with me - hopefully have it up somewhere by tomorrow.

Cheers mate, much appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:44 am 
Hawley Groupie

Jsweeting wrote:

http://manchestertaper.co.uk/wp-content ... bit_05.zip

:D

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:50 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Thanks a lot from me too.

By the way, the FIB video at dimeadozen has already reached 136 MB. I hope to get it in time for my summer holidays! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:56 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Oh my God, that's just painfully slow...

Will try and remember to connect tonight to see if it speeds things up a little.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:59 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

john_quays wrote:
Oh my God, that's just painfully slow...

Will try and remember to connect tonight to see if it speeds things up a little.

Thanks! The main problem may be that, for some reason, my friend cannot have his computer on all the time. Perhaps my very slow computer full-time would be quicker than his part-time. He says (I don't know on what basis) that he hopes to have it all in a couple of weeks. Let's hope it's so.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:05 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I don't seem to be able to find a replacement hard drive for my pc (it seems nowadays they use a different connector), so a friend of mine has lent me his old laptop while I search further. And to my surprise, that Vuze program you mentioned was installed on it. So I've started downloading the torrent for the FIB concert with my username (the friend who is downloading it too is doing so with his). He's still stuck in 172 MB, but so far I've got 610 MB (unluckily, we cannot add up both). If I've understood it well, this may be good for our ratios, since he may download now from me and I from him. Not that I understand well how all this goes, though.

It'll be the most yearned for concert, not only because of the music, but for the pains it's taking to get it! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:18 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

john_quays wrote:

Just in case you can connect during this weekend, I'm sure it'd help (I'll be downloading almost all the time). Down speed is 292 B/s right now (yes, no letter in front of the B). But I've already got 69.4% :Hoorah.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:50 pm 
Hawley Groupie

I'm on it. Although Vuze tells me that it will take approx 5 hours to download the 0.2% I need to have the full fileset - probably a slightly different info file or something. Still, I will be seeding the remaining 99.8% throughout.

Although I appear to be firewalled - will have to sort that out.

This whole saga shows up the idiocy of people who cling to torrents as the last remaining seeder weeks after the torrent has effectively died. If this video was re-uploaded today there would be a few hours while a complete copy was shared and then there would be, say, 40+ seeders and leechers around making it a lovely quick download.

Instead, we can't re-upload because some loon thinks they're achieving something by keeping a torrent "live" by being the sole seeder...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:39 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I don't know whether it's because of you, but while I was having lunch it has gone from 69.4% to 80.8%. I'm so happy! :Hoorah

john_quays wrote:
This whole saga shows up the idiocy of people who cling to torrents as the last remaining seeder weeks after the torrent has effectively died. If this video was re-uploaded today there would be a few hours while a complete copy was shared and then there would be, say, 40+ seeders and leechers around making it a lovely quick download.

Instead, we can't re-upload because some loon thinks they're achieving something by keeping a torrent "live" by being the sole seeder...

Oh I didn't know any of this. But why cannot other seeders join a torrent that is kept alive just by one person? I must read about this torrent thing, because of course I'll be very glad to pass this FIB show on to other people who may be interested, but I wouldn't like to be a nuisance out of ignorance. I thought that as long as I had the corresponding torrent file in my computer, anyone could download from me as well as from others (even if I haven't got 100% of it yet).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:53 pm 
Hawley Groupie

It's just one of those things - the torrent works better when there are more people connected - that's the whole point.

When there's just one (or a couple) seeding, everything is limited by their upload speed. But if they let it die and it was re-uploaded anew, it would appear on the frontpage of the website, email notifications would be sent to those signed up for them and it would attract a couple of dozen (at least) new downloaders. Which makes it faster for everyone.

Of course, this problem is compounded by the fact that the people who are most likely to seed like this are also the ones who are most likely not to have set up their ports etc correctly (look for a number in red next to their names on the list of seeders) and so have punishingly slow upload speeds to boot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next