Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: HMV Forum 8 June
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:09 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Susie wrote:
Marie Happe wrote:

Can't remember the order of the songs, but absolutely loved 'Don't Stare at the Sun' - my fave, and all the more so after RH explained its meaning to us all at Pocklington (a much more sophisticated audience I must say!)

What's the story? Pocklington was too far for me to go. :(

Hope I have remembered this correctly - RH introduced the song as a song about flying a kite, then afterwards explained it was not just a song about flying a kite - it was the day he took his 3 yr old son to fly his kite and it was also the day he decided to stop his addiction to mood enhancing substances.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:10 pm 

Great photos Denise - really captured the atmosphere.
I loved the ceiling Simon - fantastic colours - really something!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:33 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Thanks Marie, Don't Stare at the Sun is a beautiful song, I'm looking forward to hearing it live in Birmingham. Just over 3 months to wait. :?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:46 pm 
Regular poster

Marie Happe wrote:
Susie wrote:
Marie Happe wrote:

Can't remember the order of the songs, but absolutely loved 'Don't Stare at the Sun' - my fave, and all the more so after RH explained its meaning to us all at Pocklington (a much more sophisticated audience I must say!)

What's the story? Pocklington was too far for me to go. :(

Hope I have remembered this correctly - RH introduced the song as a song about flying a kite, then afterwards explained it was not just a song about flying a kite - it was the day he took his 3 yr old son to fly his kite and it was also the day he decided to stop his addiction to mood enhancing substances.

Yep Marie, I think you've summed it up about right. Glad I was part of that sophisticated audience 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:32 am 

Fantatsic night. Excellent performance Mr Hawley,looked in severe pain at times but got on with the job in hand and was well appreciated by the audience, great stuff. The stage looked great,we assumed that they were silver birch trees representing the woodland trust?
I wonder if the crew were severeley tempted to have just left you sitting there at the end though? :*:
Hope the leg heals quickly and looking forward to seeing you again soon.Thanks. ..>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:18 am 
Site Admin

Soldier On and Lady Solitude

And the rather wonderful Y Niwl

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:22 am 
The Boss

Really glad you all enjoyed it i know we all did,this will make you laugh,the dressing rooms were all on the third floor and there was no way I could get up there so I was put in a little (B)room cupboard on the first floor whilst everyone else was upstairs,it reminded me of that cartoon of a Dalek realising world domination was going to fail when it encountered a set of stairs :roll:

Everyone was lovely to me though,you just have to get on with it don't you?if I'd have cancelled imagine all the lost wages and the ball ache for the folks who'd bought tickets,booked hotels,babysitters,meals with partners not to mention the band and crews wages etc etc etc,the travels the worst part but it's almost over one more show then a month off,and anyway gene Vincent did it every night for 20 years poor bastard.......in a strange way I'm grateful for one thing it's given me an insight into what it's like for folks with disabilities and being granted awareness of others can never be a bad thing,fingers crossed there won't be any complications and I'll be on me feet in no time thanks for kind words ..>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:13 pm 
I need a life

just arrived in italy at home now! (*)
what a beautiful night last friday.............i think one of the best for me...richard was superb and the band as well. i loved the setlist, hotel room was magic as always and for your lover give somentime was absolutely wonderful. the new stuff sounds great live....what a new album...

it's always great make a trip in uk to see richard...i'll never stop doing this. i really hope the next time Michela can be with me again. i'll try to make the academy brixton...

so, another weekend is over, another trip to london to see richard is done....fantastic! :D

thank you richard.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:19 pm 
I need a life

Richard Hawley wrote:
Really glad you all enjoyed it i know we all did,this will make you laugh,the dressing rooms were all on the third floor and there was no way I could get up there so I was put in a little (B)room cupboard on the first floor whilst everyone else was upstairs,it reminded me of that cartoon of a Dalek realising world domination was going to fail when it encountered a set of stairs :roll:

noooo poor richard.... :*: you make me laugh...i really hope you feel better soon...

you were superb on stage friday...and i wanna thank you for having played with your broken leg...(? english correct?)..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:31 pm 
Newcomer

Hi Richard,

Just wanted to add thanks and congratulations for a really magnificent gig on Friday evening.

One of the best gigs I have been to. Ever.

Even with a broken leg and having to sit down you absloutely nailed it!

There were lots of special moments but for me the intro to Lady Solitude was stunning and the finale with Time Will Bring you Winter/Down in the Woods absolutely brilliant.

Hope the leg gets better, have a great Summer, we'll be back to see you playing in Bath in September.

All the best.

Mike & Judith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:35 pm 
Newcomer

Intro to Lady Solitude was one of the highlights for me. What a great way into that song. Only wish the intro was on the album now :*:

On further reflection, other highlights were:
Before (fantastic throughout)
Down In The Woods, I'm not one for head bopping but I really got into it! I probably looked like one of them nodding dogs!
Don't Stare At The Sun, loved the guitar solo.

I was wearing a blue polo shirt. I was next to the guy in red! I am probably one of the youngest fans on here I guess at 26 (bday tomorrow). Don't mean to offend you guys. :oops:

I actually got into RH after hearing he was producing Made In Sheffield, Tony Christie's fantastic album. I now have all the albums and Richard Hawley, you are the best singer/songwriter/guitarist/bad ass/legendary dude I've had the pleasure of seeing! Not many people could pull off looking that cool being wheeled onto the stage in a wheelchair. :mrgreen:

I brought my mate who thought the gig was amazing. He later text me to say it was probably one of the best things he's seen. 8)

I am looking at the Brixton gig in October. Are any of you guys on here going as it looks like I'll be attending alone. Would be nice to have some company and a bit of a chat before the show in the queue!

Is everyone going to be seated upstairs for Brixton?

All the best,
Alex.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:44 pm 
Site Admin

Former Pink Lady and myself are upstairs at Brixton. She wasn't there Friday as she is at No Direction Home, so seeing Richard today.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:20 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I'd just like to add my thanks and appreciation along with everyone else. Friday night was magnificent. It's hard to find the words really... The new material and the old work so well together and I found myself, yet again, coming away from a RH gig feeling buoyant, euphoric, and generally in love with the world and everyone in the room. I felt such a warmth from the band to us, and from us to the band, and I just found it a really emotional evening. When the house lights came up I wanted to hit rewind and have the experience all over again.
I could wax lyrical for ages but I won't as others have said it all.
All I will add is that I broke my knee about 7 years ago and, even on horse-strength pain-killers, it took what felt like forever for the pain and dull ache to subside. And dragging my leg around with a heavy brace on was knackering. I am full of admiration.
Oooh, and could I also just add what a pleasure it was to be stood in the front on Colin's side of the stage and able to watch him play from close quarters during 'Leave Your Body'. The bassline on that one gets me every time.
I'll shut up now.
Thanks for indulging me.
Here's to Brixton!! ..>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:34 pm 
Regular

I would like to say how thrilled I was to see you Richard on Friday night. It was a beautiful show and perfect, from the amazing atmosphere from the trees and lighting to the stunning guitar work. Everything seemed on a higher level, just "up a notch" I was hooked from start to finish. No words can describe how grateful I am to you for being there for us when you could have cancelled. Thanks Boss. Also I finally saw your deep love for your guitars come shining through and it was very moving. Can't wait for the next show. xx <*> <*>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:21 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Mark and I loved the gig on Friday. Excellent set list... "Don't stare at the sun" is my favourite too...
We were on the balcony...

Great view - just a shame Dean and Jon got lost in them foggy woods :shock: Did they find their way out I wonder....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next