Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:16 am 
Hawleytastic!

Craig wrote:
I kept an eye out for somebody with 6 fingers and still didn't spot Egg.

I saw him briefly and he definitely had at least 6 fingers - could have been 8!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:33 pm 
Newcomer

Hiya, I haven't been on here in ages but just had to login to share some special moments from the Holmfirth gig, filmed by my good self.

Soldier On

Open Up Your Door

The Ocean

Hope you enjoy as much as I did.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:48 pm 
Newcomer

I don't have a youtube account so I couldn't say thank you for posting that footage on there, now I have that opportunity to express my gratitude for capturing moments from that unforgetable evening, really good footage, forever in your debt for taking the time and effort to capture and share that with us...

Again, many, many thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:15 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

Great videos there. And great photos efsb & Jean. ..>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:19 am 
Hawleytastic!

Great videos indeed Derek......I think you were just a few people to my right.....we were in the left hand corner on the rail.....

Thanks in particular for Open Up Your Door which is very special to me......don't suppose you captured Hotel Room by any chance????

:D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:52 pm 
Newcomer

Bradford Lass wrote:
My spare ticket went to Bill from the states (my old man decided he wouldn't be able to cope with a standing gig, he has M.S) and it was wonderful to see him embraced by some of the others and welcomed into the fold. I'm so grateful for this forum and the friends I've made through it. Lovely to chat with Little Dickie and CPAWs before the gig and at long last put a face to the name of the elusive Egg! Great to catch up with people who I have come to consider as friends for life. Looking forward to the next one on Leeds but this will be up there as one of my favourite gigs, I think mainly because Mr H seemed back to his old self. Good to see.

Many thanks to the lovely Bradford Lass for getting me a ticket, which was the icing on my trip over from the States. A horrendous drive over the Pennines in lashing rain turned out to be well worth the effort. Arrived (very late) at the Old Bridge to find a lovely bunch of forum members (including Bradford Lass--thanks for waiting to eat dinner with me--Jean, Mandy and Paul, Nick, Lofty, Steve and Sue, I hope I remembered you all and got your names right--I don't know everyone's forum names!!!) who made me feel immediately at home. Some smashing craic in the pub before the concert. As for the concert itself, I was about five rows of happy dancing people from the stage and it was just incredible. A relative newcomer (last two or three years) to Richard's music, this was my first experience seeing him live and it was mind blowing on every level. Someone after the concert said there is an "aura" about him and it's true (I've only experienced this a few times; Dylan and Leonard Cohen come to mind). Richard is able to be both extremely professional and warm at the same time. Standouts for me: Soldier On (brought tears), Remorse Code, Lady Solitude, and The Ocean, and from the new album, Seek It and Before (more tears--probably the loveliest melody I've ever heard). That said, everything from the new album was amazing live and I think She Brings the Sunlight is close to being the most perfect rock-pop-psychedelia hybrid ever crafted.

Thanks all, especially Bradford Lass, for making the evening truly memorable. I hope this is the first of many Richard Hawley concerts and meet ups with forum members for me. BTW, the photos and videos of the concert are stunning. Enjoyed chatting about Blackburn Rovers (was that you Little Dickie??). Look forward to taking a more active role in the forum in future.

Finally, a special thanks to Richard Hawley for being such a treasure.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:00 pm 
Newcomer

jean wrote:
Great videos indeed Derek......I think you were just a few people to my right.....we were in the left hand corner on the rail.....Thanks in particular for Open Up Your Door which is very special to me......don't suppose you captured Hotel Room by any chance????

Open Up Your Door is one of my favorites too, Jean. It was lovely to hear it live. I forgot to mention it in my previous post.

Great to meet you by the way. Be nice to trade some guitar tips (especially chords to RH songs) in the future!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:27 pm 
Regular

Aye, thanks for posting the videos - will serve as a valuable souvenir to come

One thing that did spoil part of the evening was the behaviour of a certain element who felt the need to shout to each by way of conversation whilst Lisa was performing. I think that when an artist is performing folks should have the common decency to pipe down and at least let others hear and enjoy the music.

Rant over

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:28 pm 
Newcomer

jean wrote:
It was fab......Richard was great..and it was lovely, as always, to meet so many of you, especially Beatle Bill from Indiana............ here's a few basic pics while you wait for the better ones from others.....

Lovely to meet you too, Jean!!! Look forward to continuing our chat from cyberspace.

Basic pics? These are outstanding photos!!! They wouldn't look out of place in Rolling Stone or Mojo (or National Geographic for that matter).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:20 pm 
Hawleytastic!

BeatleBill wrote:
Bradford Lass wrote:
My spare ticket went to Bill from the states (my old man decided he wouldn't be able to cope with a standing gig, he has M.S) and it was wonderful to see him embraced by some of the others and welcomed into the fold. I'm so grateful for this forum and the friends I've made through it. Lovely to chat with Little Dickie and CPAWs before the gig and at long last put a face to the name of the elusive Egg! Great to catch up with people who I have come to consider as friends for life. Looking forward to the next one on Leeds but this will be up there as one of my favourite gigs, I think mainly because Mr H seemed back to his old self. Good to see.

Many thanks to the lovely Bradford Lass for getting me a ticket, which was the icing on my trip over from the States. A horrendous drive over the Pennines in lashing rain turned out to be well worth the effort. Arrived (very late) at the Old Bridge to find a lovely bunch of forum members (including Bradford Lass--thanks for waiting to eat dinner with me--Jean, Mandy and Paul, Nick, Lofty, Steve and Sue, I hope I remembered you all and got your names right--I don't know everyone's forum names!!!) who made me feel immediately at home. Some smashing craic in the pub before the concert. As for the concert itself, I was about five rows of happy dancing people from the stage and it was just incredible. A relative newcomer (last two or three years) to Richard's music, this was my first experience seeing him live and it was mind blowing on every level. Someone after the concert said there is an "aura" about him and it's true (I've only experienced this a few times; Dylan and Leonard Cohen come to mind). Richard is able to be both extremely professional and warm at the same time. Standouts for me: Soldier On (brought tears), Remorse Code, Lady Solitude, and The Ocean, and from the new album, Seek It and Before (more tears--probably the loveliest melody I've ever heard). That said, everything from the new album was amazing live and I think She Brings the Sunlight is close to being the most perfect rock-pop-psychedelia hybrid ever crafted.

Thanks all, especially Bradford Lass, for making the evening truly memorable. I hope this is the first of many Richard Hawley concerts and meet ups with forum members for me. BTW, the photos and videos of the concert are stunning. Enjoyed chatting about Blackburn Rovers (was that you Little Dickie??). Look forward to taking a more active role in the forum in future.

Finally, a special thanks to Richard Hawley for being such a treasure.

Good to meet you - glad you enjoyed it!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:11 am 
Hawleytastic!

BeatleBill wrote:
jean wrote:
Great videos indeed Derek......I think you were just a few people to my right.....we were in the left hand corner on the rail.....Thanks in particular for Open Up Your Door which is very special to me......don't suppose you captured Hotel Room by any chance????

Open Up Your Door is one of my favorites too, Jean. It was lovely to hear it live. I forgot to mention it in my previous post.

Great to meet you by the way. Be nice to trade some guitar tips (especially chords to RH songs) in the future!

Bill....Open Up Your Door came out when my Mum was in a nursing home in the final stages of dementia and the lyrics of the song resonated for me in that situation......Open up your door - I can't hear your voice no more....I just want to make you smile....maybe stay with you awhile..... :cry:

As for guitar tips - you would be better finding the thread on here where Richard gives chords for many of his songs....in the Guitar section..... he's 60 years better than I am... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:20 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Didn't realise there was so many forum folks there - was sorry to miss the majority before, during and after but did briefly chat to craig, maggie, jan and lofty.

One of the photos posted reminded me of watching fascinated from the side balcony as Gordon painstakingly and precisely set up those impressive pedal boards - looked like spaceship control panels - and then RH tapdancing on them with each song - mesmerising. If only I understood what they were all about!

Can't help with a video of Hotel Room jean, just caught the one song - Seek It:

Really looking forward to the City Hall tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:26 pm 
Newcomer

jean wrote:
Bill....Open Up Your Door came out when my Mum was in a nursing home in the final stages of dementia and the lyrics of the song resonated for me in that situation......Open up your door - I can't hear your voice no more....I just want to make you smile....maybe stay with you awhile.....

I feel the same way, Jean. The song is heartbreakingly tender and beautiful and resonates exactly as you say. My visit over was to spend some time with my mother (who turned 81 while I was there). She's had cancer for nearly two years and while she is in good spirits, she is very frail and not very mobile anymore. It was lovely just to have her hold onto my arm while walking her around a little (she mostly has to get by in a wheelchair now). The song certainly does resonate with her situation. I always feel grateful for the time I am able to spend with her.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:15 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Really lovely to meet you Bill, so glad you enjoyed the gig & a belated welcome to the forum 8)

& let the dreams come softly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:00 pm 
Hawleytastic!

noblebones wrote:
Didn't realise there was so many forum folks there - was sorry to miss the majority before, during and after but did briefly chat to craig, maggie, jan and lofty.

One of the photos posted reminded me of watching fascinated from the side balcony as Gordon painstakingly and precisely set up those impressive pedal boards - looked like spaceship control panels - and then RH tapdancing on them with each song - mesmerising. If only I understood what they were all about!

Can't help with a video of Hotel Room jean, just caught the one song - Seek It:

Really looking forward to the City Hall tomorrow.

We were exactly the same watching all the pedals set up.... and then seeing him jump on them....and I loved seeing Gordon in the corner lovingly polishing each guitar before handing it to Richard.......

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next