Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:10 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Craig wrote:
MR L wrote:
Shez's lap steel was awesome

Highlight for me. Well that and successfully avoiding any R*th*rh*m bastards. :wink:

Other highlight for me was avoiding you Craig. Still had to put up with Kirky tho.

Crikey, i'm beginning to sound like Sleney.
:D

www.myspace.com/roamingson
www.facebook.com/roamingsonuk
www.facebook.com/marklyall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:06 pm 
Hawleytastic!

MR L wrote:
Other highlight for me was avoiding you Craig. Still had to put up with Kirky tho.

Crikey, i'm beginning to sound like Sleney.
:D

Where were you Craig - I met Arne walking to the City Hall by Ponds Forge - and noblesbones near the bar at half time - and MR L when I as walking round the City Hall after the gig - but no Craig...

I'll have the book some tickets for WWM at The Greystones.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:55 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Looking at your picture I walked past you. Would have said hallo if I'd realised!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:44 pm 

Loved it. What a treat to see Martin Simpson. I saw him a few years ago in Bury of all places. No offence intended! He was great then and it was fantastic to see a glimpse of his talent again. Not to take away from RH and the band. Superb! I am not sure how I remained seated for Down in the Woods. Water Boy. Paul Robson. My dad used to sing that all the time when I was little. He loved Paul Robson. It sounded different but it brought a tear to my eye. Thank you Mr H.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:00 pm 
Newcomer

Oh wow, Mr Hawley, last night was really a treat. So good to see you on home turf, and to see City hall full, was brill. And much deserved.

So good to see you enjoying success like this, you deserve it all.

I think the bass is still making my feet vibrate :shock: fantastic. :Hoorah

The highlight for me was open up your door, but so many it's difficult to choose. The lap steel was sounding toooooo gooood * Loved hotel room too.

Thanks for a memorable evening once again Mr Hawley.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:29 pm 

What is there to say? Richard and his band we're on top form all night; as always, but it's the connection with his audience that makes an RH gig so special. The self depracating humour, the laughter, the straight to the point no bullshit political comment. And when he says no fucker's ever going to change him - I for one believe him.
The highlight for me was right at the end when Richard was taking the standing ovation and just for a brief second he looked a little bit bemused (probably wrong word there) at all of the love and warmth that was coming from the people of his city to him, the "specky mong from Pitsmoor". Didn't last though as his final words were "Up the Owls".

Oh, and it must be the third or fourth RH gig where I've heard someone say "Isn't he tall". As if it's unusual to find a tall person that plays guitar - wierd.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:24 pm 
The Boss

Thanks for all your lovely comments

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:29 pm 
Newcomer

It was mentioned the gig was recorded, is there any plans to release it

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:55 pm 
Regular poster

bigwhopper wrote:
It was mentioned the gig was recorded, is there any plans to release it

I'd like to think it was recorded but have a suspicion that Mr H was subtly getting us to make a bit more noise http://richardhawleyforum.co.uk/templates/exposion_dark/images/logo_phpBB_med.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:49 am 
Regular

MR L wrote:
Top gig last night, 'Soldier On' was definately the highlight for me, it sounded amazing. Shez's lap steel was awesome.

The ocean was ace too, even the little fluff up sounded good. :wink: shows were all human eh!
Only downside for me was that i thought 'She Brings The Sunlight' might have made an appearance. It would have made a killer opener.

Oh yeah.. Martin Simpson....bloody hell, i'm gonna burn my guitar. great playing!

Ditto!
Would have loved to have heard "She Brings The Sun" live - but hey ho, was a brilliant night THANK YOU!! (and Richard was his usual hilarious and humble self!)

Martin Simpson bloody blew me away - fancy having him as your next door neighbour!!!
:Hoorah

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:08 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Wow, another amazing concert by Richard and the lads :D Having been at the gig with the BBC Philharmonic a couple of weeks ago there was the slight worry that a "normal" Richard Hawley gig would seem slightly disappointing after Magna which was sooo special, but I needn't have worried as this was just as good! The musicianship from all band members is incredible to watch, probably the most under-rated band of musicians in the country (my Dad even compared Dean to John Bonham as he was drumming with his hands during the early part of Standing At The Sky's Edge, something he hadn't seen since Bonham). The new songs are so good live, really rocking but with so many layers to them. Don't Stare At The Sun is still my favourite, Down By The Woods was pretty special too, loved the middle part where the bass was so low it felt like my body was about to explode :*: It's great to see Richard really let go on the guitar, and the sound quality was crystal-clear and pin sharp in the City Hall.

I was surprised that Coles Corner was left out, but it shows what a great back catalogue of music Richard has built up now if he can leave out songs like Baby You're My Light, Run For Me, Coles Corner, Valentine and Serious and it's still an amazing gig! Martin Simpson coming on for a great cover of Water Boy was a highlight of course, as was the story behind the cover and Richard calling Nick Clegg and David Cameron "arseholes" 8) I hope the concert really was recorded, there were audience microphones visible so hopefully it was.

A special mention too to Lisa Hannigan who was fab too, I must get her albums.

Thanks Richard for another top night ..>

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:13 am 
The Boss

Bless you mate,yes our dean is a great drummer my fave I've ever worked with,the show was recorded I wasn't just winding you up

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Richard Hawley wrote:
Bless you mate,yes our dean is a great drummer my fave I've ever worked with,the show was recorded I wasn't just winding you up

That's ok boss! We all know what talents Shez and Colin are, but it's great that the new songs really allow Dean to demonstrate his considerable talent too :D Great news that the concert was recorded, I'm hoping for a full live album release of course, but even if only a couple of songs are released as b-sides that would be cool.

I hope you enjoyed your day off, it's a pretty full touring schedule! By the way, there's a nice review in the Worksop Guardian:

http://www.worksopguardian.co.uk/news/review-richard-hawley-live-at-sheffield-city-hall-1-4958439

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:48 pm 
Newcomer

Richard,

I noticed that you guys were running some backing tracks off Logic/Pro Tools. Do you have the click coming through your wedge or is it just your drummer?

You were absolutely AMAZING by the way. I've been trying to get tickets to see you in Sheffield since 2007 and finally managed for Sunday.

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:32 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Richard Hawley wrote:

And a Brummie to boot! :Hoorah

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next