Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Please sign this
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:37 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Those of you who know me will know why this is dear to my heart.

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/s ... 1384470444

Do sign. Makes me sick to my stomach that there is no value attached to these people's lives and no care for the devastation caused for those left behind. But also think it's time for a big debate on how we reclaim our streets for cyclists, pedestrians and our children. Lorry bans, pedestrianisation but also a campaign against the Top Gear, petrol-headed individualism, we can so we will, bullshit that prevails in British culture. I also do not want cycling to be all about people riding too fast on expensive road bikes, with cramp-ons and lycra. I want it to be about my kids being able to ride to school, on roads that don't have cycle lanes and superhighways, and be shown consideration and humanity by their fellow citizens. It's about people being able to use different modes of transport for different journeys and being safer in whichever ones they choose to use. X

Post subject: Re: Please sign this
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:20 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Done. x

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:21 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Signed!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:37 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

Yes :thumright:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:04 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Thank you sweet peas. Xx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:46 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Another cyclist killed this morning. That's six in two weeks. All in collisions with HGVs (tipper trucks) or buses. x

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:29 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Why do motorists have an infinite amount of patience when it comes to passing horses, but none
whatsoever when it comes to cyclists! :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:23 pm 
Hawleytastic!

At the risk of sounding like my mother, Egg, I don't think drivers have a lot of patience about anything. I do live in London and there is no doubt that my view might be coloured by London driving, but it seems to me, people seem to care less and less about others when they get behind a wheel. My son's school has built a beautiful new bikeshed in the playground, with room for around 50 bikes. But there is one kid that cycles to school. Why? Cos the traffic outside the school is so appalling that you couldn't in all consciousness let your child ride in. Where is the traffic coming from? Parents, who despite having children themselves, think nothing of double parking, speeding up and down the street, mounting the kerb, parking on zig zags. And that's before you even start to complain about the boy racers, the tipper trucks full to the brim with rubble, the buses, the HGVs. I'm just massively depressed by it all. x

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:07 am 

I live very close to a primary school, in a fairly quiet area. The parking of the parents makes your hair stand on end & half of them live within easy walking distance. When they run out of road they park on the pavement! I could rant on for hours about this, and all the other aspects you speak of - if anything makes me see red, it's this. My view is that it's a combination of the ''Get out of my fucking way, how dare you hold me up'' attitude of today & the very comfortable, highly responsive modern vehicle. I'm not suggesting we should all creep about like Grandma in our Morris Minor, but we don't really need the massive 4x4 or the 0-60 in a split second super-mini, do we? But what can we do. If we were all still on the bus there'd be the bastards who trampled over the slower ones to ensure a seat by the window.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:17 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Oh but they DO need those very big cars that are actually tanks in disguise to fit their children in - little Tilly and Tabatha. Children don't fit in normal sized cars apparently. And they need to get to the school early to get a parking space and to chat. And they can't walk because they are going straight to the gym after dropping the girls off at school. I know I am generalising and stereotyping but they do get on my nerves. It never occurs to them to park further down the road. It would give them all a bit of exercise walking that bit further and wouldn't cause the mayhem outside schools. Those who drive when it is walkable should be charged for parking. Or shot.

People aren't all bad though. I was getting on the train the other day in Sheffield when a lady with a wheelchair was 'deposited' on the train and left there. People went out of their way to help her. One helped her to a seat, another carried her bag and, once she was seated, when it was clear she was uncomfortable, another person immediately got up and gave up their seat so that she could rest her leg more comfortably. There are patient, kind and considerate people out there - somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:23 am 

Indeed there are. Even if they are a minority :wink: