-Now, what's going on, now?
-Lol the 90s
-Aw, just a baby!
-The wrong dude is singing, guys
-Someone has always been a motherfucker guitarist
-In fact just lose the singer altogether, it's like nails on a chalkboard, ow
-Someone's hair game has always been on point
-I like this blond cat a lot, he seems to know what's up
-So angst. Many torture. Very despair. Much angry. Wow. Wow.
-Oh, singer. We love ourselves, don't we

10 hugely-apologetic drunken thoughts I just had watching Longpigs videos with my friend Colleen, for the very first time ever, right this minute :|

(Don't tell anyone)

Post subject: Re: Late to the party
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:55 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Took me a while to discover them too, I prefer RH singing, but there are a couple of gems with Crispin on lead vocals as well.

While you're looking into Mr H's musical history, don't forget Treebound Story and Relaxed Muscle, and the collaborations with Sophie Solomon, Elbow and Arctic Monkeys/Death Ramps, Texas and the material written for Shirley Bassey, Lisa Marie Presley and Texas.

RH also produced (I think) lots of Hoggboy stuff (Tom Hogg has a fantastic voice and now fronts The Hosts, who are tremendous) and A Girl Called Eddy.

Probably lots more but these are a start 8)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:21 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Oh thank you! That's very helpful. :-) I know some of it, I especially like that Death Ramps situation. I wouldn't mind hearing more of that kind of thing sometime. I really dig AM, I wonder if we're going to hear more from them soon?

Yeah, somehow I completely missed Longpigs. Which I think is extra strange, because I worked in college and independent radio for 10 years, late 80s to late 90s, and a lot of that time as a music director, so there's really no reason they should have gotten by me. Especially because they apparently toured America every five minutes. But there you go!

Actually I really like discovering older music, almost as much as hearing new stuff. Here's my Frankensteined-together knowledge of RH in a nutshell: I first heard his solo stuff like a lot of people in America, via Exit Through the Gift Shop. But I didn't connect it at that time that he was that same fellow who had been touring with Pulp (and I am a huge Pulp fan), even though I definitely knew they had added another guitarist for a while.

Now here's the weirdest part. So I somehow missed Longpigs...but I remember(ed) Treebound Story. What the hell! Which I never connected that band to anything until after 2010, when I started reading about RH's musical history. And the reason I knew who Treebound Story was, is that one of my radio buddies had played me some way back in the day! I completely remember, he said I think you'll really dig this, give it a listen. He was from Manchester and studying here, and I also recall that I really, really liked them! Hilarious.

It's only been recently that I've started seriously checking out some of his past work, because it's taken me from 2010 forward to catch up with his solo stuff. And honestly I was so busy enjoying all of that, that I hadn't spent much time looking further back. Last night my friend Colleen and I got into the wine while I was playing her Hollow Meadows, and she was all, you know he was that guy in Longpigs, right? I'm like yeah, but I have no idea what they sounded like. So she pulled them up on the ol' YouTube, and that was a real kick in the pants. :-)

That's pretty funny how you kind of hopscotch through time and then put all the puzzle pieces back together later. What other examples do you guys have for yourselves, of this sort of patchwork musical discovery?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:25 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I think in the 90's I was asleep - only fell upon Richard in about 07 after waking up in 04 - would go with The Hosts though - new album out soon [I hope] and a tour maybe in 2016.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:29 am 
The Boss

At the time I loved being a Longpig,glad things went the way they have mind,.....musically always....personally mostly....if Crispin was called Dave our journey would've been easier.....plus the band name didn't help :roll: that aside those three fellas were some of the best and most inventive musicians I ever worked with,laddo was/is a really gifted songwriter too.....many a tear has to fall

But it's all in the game

Fave choon....."Floss".....the last time we all played nice together,recorded live one take all of us together in one room,egos on hold,I remember it being a happy time,good song that one I like the restraint in it as by that point we were a f""""n ferocious band.....all done and in the past but occasionally I will allow an eyebrow hair or two to look vaguely backwards in time.....senti....mental....isn't good....don't look back

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:41 am 
Hawleytastic!

You been listening to some old Cliff albums? or maybe Nat King Cole...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:44 am 
The Boss

No....thankfully for me I'd heard Mr Cole lonnnnnnnnng before all this shite.....which is why I am still typing nonsense to lovely people like you

:eh?

FORWARDS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:36 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Holy shit. You guys are as crazy as I am. Thank fuck ..>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:34 pm 
Hawley Groupie

My friends and I were huge longpigs fans back in my late 90's anglophile heyday. We even used to cover On & On in my basement. I remember when i finally found mobile home (which never got a proper us release) in the import bin in NYC around x-mas '99. My girl at the time just dumped me and I remember blasting the shit out of that record on my way home