Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Martin Lilleker
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:54 am 
The Boss

"I want to pay tribute to a Sheffield legend and a dear friend.....sadly Martin Lilleker passed away New Year's Eve,our mutual friend....and Martins sometime writing partner John Firminger told me the sad news.He'd been fighting dementia for a long time and finally lost his battle.....Martin was a hardcore and uncompromising supporter of Sheffield bands and artists and deserves to be remembered with great respect and much fondness.....he supported everything I've ever done from the earliest music I made with Treebound story right up to the time he couldn't write anymore. He was an encyclopaedia of musical knowledge that he shared with a passion and zeal,he loved new music and constantly sought it out with an open mind. We shared a mutual love of Captain Beefheart and esoteric blues music amongst many other bands and artists.
He was a lovely gentle giant who loved a laugh as well as serious conversation , I was lucky to have known him and my life has been enriched as a result....I went to see him and his wife Annie just in time before he had to go in a care home,he was still with it and we had a great evening together which I'll remember always. My heart goes out to all his family and friends.......here's to a great writer,a great friend and a lovely bloke!

Rest in peace Martin you beautiful man!"

Post subject: Re: Martin Lilleker
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:14 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

That's a wonderful tribute. I hate that there has been another sad loss, I'm very sorry. It sounds like he was one of those special people who can energize and unite a community, and it's clear that he will be missed far and wide. I always hope people like that know how much they mean to everyone before they have to go. I hope that for all of us, of course. But sometimes people who have an exceptionally far-ranging influence aren't quite aware of their impact on our lives, or even of just how far the ripples have spread. Another important reminder for us all to let our people know right now how much we love them.