Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Tour
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:38 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Top gig in York on Friday, one of those nights when you feel like you're really listening to familiar songs again for the first time - the words of Skyes Edge and What Love Means really touched a cord for me - so thanks to everyone who works to put it all together.

A last minute decision to go, made just a couple of days before, was all the sweeter for a unexpected front row ticket and a hotel 5 mins walk away.

Missed the merch stand last year but this time picked up a signed copy of the lovely tour programme disguised as a 7" single (including funny contributions from Dean on the band and some interesting guitar stuff from Gordon) and if you ask there are some freebie beer mats up for grabs 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:36 am 
Hawleytastic!

Is Dean a Spurs boy? x

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:15 am 
Too much time on my hands

He's a Villa man......oh err. You can hear the silence from here!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:00 pm 
Newcomer

I forgot to mention about the merchandise on sale. For the first time ever, I bought a T-shirt at a gig. It has a smashed Hollow Meadow LP on the front, quite cool & a tea towel! Purely bought this because of the novelty factor, I think more bands should sell tea towels at gigs.
There was lots of other stuff like mugs & a signed poster.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:34 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

The tea towels seemed to go down a storm last night. Me, I got the tin of travel sweets, a bottle of Hendo's and some beer mats! First time I've ever bought merchandise at a gig, too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:06 am 
Hawleytastic!

Mmmmm. Tea towels... remember my brother buying one for my mum for Christmas... who, rather harshly but not altogether unfairly, said: "What the hell have you bought me this for?" and proceeded to tear him off a strip about washing up not being her job and maybe he should keep it for himself because that is what he'd be doing after she'd spent all day cooking the dinner...

Just make sure they're not a present for over-sensitive, proto-feminist, menopausal mothers would be my tip... xx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:37 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Wow! Brilliant gig last night at the Apollo!

Just keeps getting better everytime.........A well deserved standing ovation from a really appreciative crowd......great seats in 2nd row.......hushed audience ..... fantastic music...... loved every minute, especially when the band took 'Sometimes I feel' to a new level - mesmerising! And 'Storm a Coming' was a real treat for my other half as he's never heard it played live. But..... the jewel in the crown for me has to be 'my second most miserable song', 'What Love Means' - which was well worth the wait and got a one woman standing ovation from me, couldn't help myself! Feeling that music!!! ....absolute perfection!

Thanks guys for yet another grand evening!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:12 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Hear hear!! Outstanding music in a beautiful setting. Thank you to everyone involved. I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did. Jx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:26 pm 
Site Admin

The banter was limited, but good. The answer to an unintelligible shout out was that Richard doesn't 'talk pissed . . . . . . . . well I do of course'

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

John Aizlewood's review of last night - doesn't say much about the gig though.

Pleased to see at least one of the photographers work has been published - last night they were all made to crouch on the floor in the aisle area alongside my seat rather than be at the front and obliterate the audience view :Hoorah

http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/musi ... 88191.html

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:40 pm 
I need a life

back home now...another well worth 24h journey to London...absolutely brilliant gig as always.
Thank you Richard for your music...and thanks for give us such amazing shows every time...

Can't wait now for Barcelona in June.... <*> ..>

Last edited by e-botti on Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:58 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Well Denise, not being at the London gig, I can't say what you saw & heard but it can't have been that different from Southampton that I saw and heard on Saturday.
As for the journo, shall we just put it down to a London-centric "critic", just having a pop at talent from outside the smoke ? We know that Richard is mostly understated, but dry as fuck when he's enjoyin the banter, but also enjoyin it when we STFU in the slow numbers. Journo perhaps doesn't get that ? Maybe there's a lot riding on a London gig in Richard's mind, - I can't see that he would give a shit, but I certainly didn't see that at the Roundhouse in November, so I doubt if it was there this week either.
I'll go with Josie and Marie's review :Hoorah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:45 am 
Regular

Well after travelling from Stockport to both Preston and Hillsborough over the past few days, only to come back with one point for the Owls, it was terrific to be able to wander a short distance down the A6 to the Manchester Apollo to see Richard tonight. Another stunning evening in the company of the Gretsch maestro and a very appreciative crowd.....entertainment really doesn't get much better than this now does it?

A few pics I took at the gig can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... ca7438b9c3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:42 am 
Regular

Short journey for us too from Chorley and wow what a night. Set was fantastic. Just in awe of this amazing band and their music fronted by Richard. Can not wait for the next time.
Venue and seats were great but just hope with some of those huge bar profits that they could pay the central heating bill and please Apollo close the bar during the performance of the maestro out of respect for his talent. Some folk were up and down like a brides nighty.
Thank you Richard for a great night.
See you at Hillsborough next season with the mighty Wigan Athletic when we push on back to the Premier Greed League.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:02 am 
Hawleytastic!

I bought a tea towel - I do all the washing up.

Yep it was freezing - I'm sure the decorated vents along the walls were blowing cold air all night - after the show and exiting to the car park you had a blast of warm air from outside like getting off a plane when going on holiday to some sunny hot place.

Highlight of the night was a conversation with my non dish washing partner as the band were being introduced - she has thought that keyboard player John Trier was always called by his nick name of Jonty at the close of each gig for the last seven or eight years - it statements like that that make me realise how much I love her.[Edit - read that back and it sounds a bit ungracious to those hard working folk fuelled on Werthers and Sanatogen - so apologies]

We picked up a rescue dog the other week I wanted to call it Lemmy - Samantha wanted Jonty - so Jonty you have a dog named after you - no doubt the little lad will be starting piano lessons soon - with his favourite composer being Offenbach.

Show was OR8 ..>

Last edited by Poppy Dog on Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next