Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Election
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:00 pm 
Hawleytastic!

helenwatson wrote:
Labour manifesto, leaked or not, is a thing of beauty. I've been waiting a lifetime for a Labour Party that believes in free education, reversing privatisation in the NHS, funding state education, renationalising railways and taking on private utility companies.

And what some might see as the little stuff, making hospital car parking free, giving women in Northern Ireland equal abortion rights and supporting community pubs to tackle loneliness, just shows to me that at last we have some people in Labour that understand working people.

Don't want to exist in my own echo chamber (not that I accept that term or actually want to live/listen to/put up with Tory c****) but the forum is very quiet about the election. Is no-one else excited about what possibilities there could be? Or am I just a freak?x

Dare to dream. We need to get the non-voters voting though.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:25 am 
Hawleytastic!

My son misses out by six months, which he isn't happy about. His girlfriend is a year older and voting for the first time. She's 18 next week and has told her friends that she doesn't want a present, just for them to register to vote and vote Labour!

They are both fanatical lovers of Corbyn, raging about not being given a chance in the referendum, sick of the shiny politicians and quite like an old boy on a bike with an allotment. We were watching an MP on the telly the other day and he says: "Why has he got his sleeves rolled up like that? It's not like he's working or doing the washing up. What a prick." Very perceptive about the body language used by the super groomed.

The tuition fees thing is really important to them, understandably. She is going to uni to do psychology as she wants to work with Alzheimers patients in the NHS and he wants to be a research doctor and find a cure for cancer!

I love that they are idealistic and want to change the world in whatever way they can. Some of that enthusiasm could do with rubbing off on cynical c****, burying their heads in the sand while the Tories destroy everything that's good about this country. This is for them, after all. xxxxx

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:11 am 
Hawleytastic!

Agree with getting the non voters to vote - particularly the under 35 group that seems to have the largest number of non voters.

The election is won / lost on the outcome of key marginal seats - so anyone under 35 in a marginal seat - get registered - get voting.

Meanwhile here in leafy Cheshire we'll do our bit to reduce a Tory 13,000 majority.

Actually I am really interested in the shift toward UKIP / away from LD in 2015 and how this will impact in 2017 - anticipate the UKIP vote going back to the original parties and some resurgence in the LD vote - OK they shot themselves in the foot during coalition - will have to wait and see...

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:06 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I like a manifesto, to put it to the testo

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:22 am 
Hawleytastic!

207,000 people registered to vote yesterday, 157,000 of them under 34.

I think this election might not be a foregone conclusion after all. Remember where you heard it first.xx

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:31 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Desperately hoping for a sea change. Very difficult in the face of the chuckling presentation of Labour ideas by supposedly neutral reporters and the contnued easy treatment of May etc. Imagine if a frontline Labour candidate had behaved like Boris Johnson? There'd be a whole programme devoted to it. Am nagging myvtwo eldest lads to make sure they can vote. They are registered but aren't at home. Think Labour have presented well on the whole but we know it's not to do with that. And I"d just like to say that Corbyn was right to talk to Sinn Fein, it's what made the difference in the end and it was the British government who introduced guns onto the street in Ireland.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:14 am 
Hawleytastic!

A change is coming... Labour now within five points of the Tories (if you believe the polls), Corbyn's personal rating up 22 per cent and between 18 April and 22 May, 2,700,000 people registered to vote, 2 million of them under 34. Don't tell me they are voting for May.

I was just heartbroken at the events of Monday but yesterday and today, I've stopped being miserable and started to get angry. It's all very well talking about our fantastic emergency services but the Tories have slashed our police force and are destroying our NHS, with nurses using food banks to survive.

They and we deserve better than that. And I think we might get it. I'd implore you all, if you think this too, just get out in this last week and do what you can to get a Labour government. Because, whatever happens, it's important to try your hardest. xxxxxx

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:03 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Good response from Jezza today on national security. Sensible and has broad appeal.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:27 am 
Hawleytastic!

It's been good to see a positive reaction to Corbyn as he is rather than the media construct people have had thrust upon him. I am still most confused by all of those people who say they will still vote Tory but they think the Labour policies are the right ones. I feel a little more optimistic.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:03 am 
Hawleytastic!

In the most mealy mouthed way The Guardian, who have put the boot in on Corbyn consistently, have finally registered its support for Labour. Maybe if the Labour MPs and the more liberal media had made an effort to accept the reaity of Corbyn"s leadership and embraced the genuine alternative to austerity and division, there could have been more energy spent on defeating the Tories these past couple of years. I notice Tory Blair has disappeared from view again, long may it be so.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:58 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I just hope that come Friday morning the analysis shows how the under 35 vote clinched Labour victories in the key marginals.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:44 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I am excited... can't help myself... xxx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:01 pm 
Hawleytastic!

The 1992 election still haunts me. I passed out drunk with everything pointing to Labour and woke up hungover and horrified. Fingers crossed is where I"m at but I am proud that Labour has reasserted many if its reasons for existing and that Jeremy Corbyn has shown that he communicates way beyond the pathetic stereotypes and uninformed soundbites of media commentators. My two eldest have sorted their ability to vote and are under orders.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:15 pm 
The Boss

I feel the same sense of hope, there are actual politics out there and not just fear mongering suits all spouting the same s**t....fingers crossed folks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:09 pm 
Hawleytastic!

All the right wing rags are pulling out all the stops today. Just walked past an Evening Standard stall here in the Smoke that alliterates "Corbyn" with "Chaos". I just hope people aren't suckered by the propaganda and the young uns get out to vote - and there are a few protests like in North Staffs where Karen Bradley might get deposed by a chap standing in defence of the local hospital.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next