Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293 ... 300  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:27 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Last Long Strung Creatures @ The Salty Dog Northwich Sunday 28th July

Sadly cancelled due to ill health - but is to be rearranged asap.

Next Carwyn Ellis & Rio 18 Eagles Hotel Llanrwst Thursday 8th August

Part of a week long showcase of Welsh bands as a part of the Eisteddfod 2019

I love songs sung in Welsh - don't know why...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:48 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Had a most excellent weekend down at Cambridge Folk festival (although I had to come back and miss the Sunday as I was playing a gig myself.) Good to catch up with photographic friends Phil Carter and Allan Wilkinson too. Lots of highlights, so here's some of my favourite photos:
Hayley Keenan of Talisk:
Mohsen Amini - Talisk:
Rob Heron & the Teapad Orchestra:
Ralph McTell:
Lucinda Williams:
Jose Gonzalez:
Calexico + Iron & Wine

Complete collection of pictures HERE

My review of the festival is HERE.

Next - Richard Thompson at Gawsworth Hall.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:22 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Richard Thompson seems to play annually at Gawsworth - it's a lovely, very traditionally English setting in the gardens of a Tudor Manor House (although I felt the need for a rub down with a copy of the Morning Star afterwards due to the presence of canvas-trousered Cheshire-set types. Not you Mr Whalley by the way.)
This year RT is playing acoustically with some backing vocals from his partner Zarah H. Phillips (not the royal one). The first half is largely a Thompson greatest hits - the second half was a "by request" set and RT played about 50% of his own songs and 50% covers - such as "99 Red balloons" "Gimme Shelter" and "Tangled Up In Blue".
I was miles back so not much of a picture:

Next I'm off to play a couple of gigs at Broadstairs Folk Festival and hopefully catch Kitty McFarlane too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:29 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Last Carwyn Ellis & Rio 18 @ Eagles Hotel Llanrwst Thursday 8th August

Wearing my Cardinal Red Gant Chinos - and with my Labour Membership Card in my hand a trip was taken in the Range Rover to Llanrwst to catch a show case of Welsh musical talent.

Although I quite like listening to Carwyn's latest chapter in his musical journey - this live performance of tracks from his Rio 18 album 'Joia!' was a real aural explosion - drums and bass on eleven...makes me happy...

Next Caravan & Long Strung Creatures @ Eleven Stoke on Trent Saturday 10th August

A walk down Memory Lane - have seen Caravan a few times since 73 - the last time was about 10 years ago :roll:

OK - it were M&S budget jeans and a seven year old Merc - and the Membership Card was left at home...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:03 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Next one for me was the North Shropshire Big Weekend - a largely Cajun & Zydeco Festival put together by Gavin Lewery and Andy Watson - who also put together a crack back-up band for the US artists they bring over. This year, the US artists were Courtney Granger - mainly known as a fiddle player with the Pine Leaf Boys, but who has produced an excellent George Jones type country CD too - and Corey Ledet, "the accordion dragon", probably the best zydeco accordionist there is at the moment and a really nice bloke -I'd not seen him since I played on the same bill as him at a festival in France ten years ago, but he chatted away as though he'd been in touch ever since. A bonus was the arrival upon the scene of the Barcelo Brothers - 13 and 11 year old Irish brothers with their dad on guitar who were unbelievably good - not just "for their age" either!
Corey Ledet
Courtney Granger
The Barcelo Brothers

Coming up - Bill and the Belles in Leek on Friday, Martha Reeves & the Vandellas in Stoke on Saturday, playing a gig myself in Congleton on Sunday. The following week it's Tyler Childers in Nottingham and then Carson McHone in Glasgow the next day.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:52 pm 
Hawleytastic!

If there was a moral to the last two gigs I went to, it's to get out and see what's on in your local area. Friday night was a gig in the Cock Inn in Leek by Bill and the Belles - a string/swing/old timey band from Tennessee - sublime harmonies, stellar musicianship and dry humour made for a superb night. They're touring in the UK for the next three weeks, including a support slot for Hoot and a Holler at the Greystones. I pity the headline band.
Saturday night saw Martha Reeves and the Vandellas at my local indie/rock venue, the Sugarmill in Stoke. I'd seen the band about a year ago at the Blues Kitchen in Brixton and had really enjoyed the show. This wasn't quite so enjoyable, as a weak vocal mix and drunken elements in the audience spoiled the atmosphere for me. Still better than staying in and watching shite telly by a long chalk though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:22 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Thursday and I caught the train over to Nottingham to see Tyler Childers. Wasn't intending on going, but a former student who now does a bit of music promotion, managed to get me a ticket. Quite an unusual gig, in that the audience were 90% in their twenties and went absolutely mental - for hardcore honky-tonk country. Not complaining - quite the opposite - but these sorts of gigs tend to attract an older demographic, i.e. me.
Then it was an early start to catch a train from Nottingham to Manchester and then on to Glasgow, to see one of my favourite discoveries of this year, Carson McHone. She's a tough yet sensitive writer (and person). On this visit she played a lot of new songs and a couple of covers, including Springsteen's "Stolen Car". Small crowd (It was the Hug & Pint - it only holds about 40) but a fine show. Then it was two trains with a two minute connection in Manchester to get back to see the mighty Port Vale beat Cambridge Utd with a late goal...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:33 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Lord Edwyn C, on the splendidly titled 'Hide the biscuits...' tour, in Leeds last night. Flaming Lips in Manc tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:27 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Went to Americanafest in Nashville for the second year running and it was again fantastic, apart from the average 100+ degree temperature all week. Also managed to see The Mavericks at the Ryman in the same week as the festival. Here's some highlights:
The Mavericks at the Ryman:
JD McPherson & the Mid-Tennessee Three at JP Harris' Sunday Morning Coming Down. (JD's rockabilly side project - this was their debut gig. It was all covers of well-known and less well-known rockabilly.) Chuck Mead joined them for the last couple of songs:
Tami Nielsen at the War Memorial Auditorium (Day stage)
Chris Shiflett at the Basement East:
Rod Picott at the 5 Spot (He's on at the Greystones on the 8th October)
The Minks at Basement East:
Tanya Tucker at the War Memorial Auditorium:

All 421 of my Nashville music pics are HERE

Then I was back for a couple of days and managed to squeeze in an excellent MG Boulter house concert at Poppy Dog's house before flying to Hamburg to see Jade Jackson - who'd played in Nashville, but clashed with another gig I was at. Fantastic gig at Nochtwache, a few streets away from the Reeperbahn and a couple of blocks from Herbertstrasse...

Next two gigs are RH in Wakefield and Dublin - and I'm playing two gigs inbetween.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:46 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Last M G Boulter Poppy Dog's Kennel Davenham Saturday 21st September

Low key acoustic house gig - was really sweet - just a few folks as the house cannot hold that many - almost covered Matt's fee - helped out by folks that couldn't make it and were happy for their ticket money to be handed over to the players - really relaxing dreamy night.

Next Richard Hawley Olympia Dublin Monday 30th September

A few days in Dublin - no doubt a visit to a few pubs will be in order - and maybe a night at the Opera.

Last edited by Poppy Dog on Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:57 pm 
Hawleytastic!

A weekend of failing musical technology but excellent music nonetheless. Friday I drove up to Wakefield for the Warehouse 23 gig. Friendly venue, if somewhat claustrophobic and rather murky light wise from a photographic point of view - a very rocking set. Two thumbs up.
Then I drove down to Nottingham to drop off my car as I was getting a lift from a band mate to two gigs that I was playing myself, first at Blakeney in Norfolk on Saturday night, then at Melton Mowbray on the Sunday afternoon. If the RH band thought Jon Trier's keyboards failing to work at the beginning of the set on Friday was annoying, the entire inhouse PA gave up the ghost on us on the Sunday, so we had to strip down everything and set up our own PA before we could play the gig, not helped by a know-it-all (he knew nothing) pub manager who tried to tell us what to do...grrr. Anyway, gig went OK, then I drove to Nottingham to pick up my car and then drive home, before getting up at 4am to drive to Manchester Airport to catch a flight to Dublin for the Olympia theatre gig. I'd been told by my irish musical friends that the venue was a good one with great sound and they weren't wrong - way better light too and even the compact camera coped reasonably well. Then another early get up (didn't see Gordon at the airport this time) and a drive back home from Manchester. No rest for the wicked - got Sam Outlaw at the Night & Day cafe in Manchester tomorrow. Pics from Dublin:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:16 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I've seen Californian (now transplanted to Nashville) country singer Sam Outlaw a couple of times before. First time was a busy show at Perth Southern Fried where he had now solo artiste Michaela Anne on keyboards and was joined by Jim Lauderdale for an encore. The last time was at a rather flat show at The Hubs in Sheffield. This gig was more like the first time in that it was lively and enthusiastic with a top notch band featuring support act Lydia Luce on fiddle. The gig ended with an acoustic version of "Angelino" from in amongst the crowd. Top night!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:25 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Busy gig week of seven gigs in seven days began with Leek Blues and Americana Festival - I was playing and taking photographs. Favourite of the day was the huge voice and personality of the lovely Sister Suzie - who we also got up to join us on rubboard and a few backing vocals in our set.
Then it was up to Manchester to see the RH tour part two - checked in at the Easyhotel (Basic but cheap and far better than the equivalent that I stayed in in London - and left because it was so shite). Being on the barrier in the Albert Hall often leaves me with a stiff neck staring up as the stage is so high, so I went for the centre balcony, with a different camera for a change. Best gig of the tour so far for me, overall.
Then it was the short, cheap and slow train to Liverpool for the next night of the tour. Had a good day wandering and generally doing street photography stuff and sitting in cafes before trying to find the location of the venue entrance - eventually found it and had a chat and stood on the front rail with fellow RH fan Christian who'd flown over from the Mission District in San Francisco for the Oxford, Manchester & Liverpool gigs. Top bloke.
(On a photography note, the lighting was the best on the tour so far in Liverpool. I know it's the same lighting programme throughout i.e. Clive is always blued out, but it just seemed somewhat brighter overall. Small bonuses!) Gig was excellent - wouldn't expect anything less! Got reasonable pictures of everyone except Colin who seems to stand in a puddle of darkness.

Off to Biddulph now for Orphan Brigade in the church, followed by Rob Heron & the Teapad Orchestra tomorrow, before the Sheffield double-header at the weekend.

Last edited by efsb on Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:55 pm 
Hawleytastic!

..and on Wednesday it was back to Biddulph for Irish-American Americana trio The Orphan Brigade. Worked well in the church with excellent harmonies.
Thursday it was also local - this time at the Artisan Tap in Hartshill, Newcastle-under-Lyme for a favourite live band, Rob Heron & the Teapad Orchestra. Rob had asked me to take pics for their social media, so I did and these are a couple that they've used. I also wrote a review... you can read it HERE
A few hour's sleep and then it was over to rainy Sheffield for the first of the two nights at the Octagon. A new Sheffield venue for me and I was a bit concerned that it might be a bit of a soulless concrete box, and while the concrete box bit was probably right, it certainly wasn't soulless. Great to meet up with Hawley-ites both near and far and hog the barrier for both nights. The added bonus of "The Lads" (especially the lady on the cello at the back, if I'm being honest :-D ) gave the songs an added dimension - and it was great to hear "For your lover" which I saw had been on the setlist in Wakefield, but not played. Spine-tingling stuff. Great performances, sound, lighting and cameraderie. What's not to love? Many thanks to all involved and all the best for the last few nights.
My album of the photos I took from Wakefield, Dublin, Manchester, Liverpool and Sheffield (x2) is HERE

Next up, it's a trip to Utrecht on Friday for the Ramblin' Roots Festival, which I have photo accreditation for :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:49 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Blimey Nick you work hard - and I love your pics.
Denise made the connection for me at the Roundhouse and I realised that I’d met you at Holmfirth back I think in 2015 ?
Be good to hook up with you next time around.
Take care Mike

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293 ... 300  Next